As you’re planning to put your home on the market, it goes without saying that you are hoping to sell your home as quickly as possible and get your asking price. The Sarasota home marketplace is chock full of beautiful settings and environments that lend itself to creating your indoors to attract the perfect buyer. Set the stage for success with these 21 tips by styling and upgrading your home to see buyer’s swoon, the results you desire, and a fast sale.
1. Boost curb appeal – Try not to rely on interested buyers doing a quick drive-by first, but instead think of people touring the inside of your home once they see how the outside appeals to their tastes. Make sure your home is ready to lure in onlookers by power-washing siding and walkways, hang easy-to-read address numbers, plant blooming flowers and keep the greenery fresh, mow the lawn, wash the front windows, and clean up the front porch area to keep it attractive and simple.
2. An inviting porch area – Welcome your visitors with a porch area that speaks volumes to wanting to further tour your home. Even if you have only a tiny stoop, make sure it’s attractive and homey. Keep your porch lights on in the evenings, in case potential buyers drive by.
3. Get your home sparkling clean – Shine the floors, gleam the windows, scrub the countertops and shower/tub grout, and get every inch and surface of your home to sparkle. Ensure your home is putting its best foot forward.
4. Clear away the clutter – When you’re serious about staging your home all the clutter must be cleaned away. Prepare your home as if it’s a clean slate, removing all ‘personal’ items such as family photos and collectibles. Make your home fresh and welcoming to a new prospective buyer who wants to envision themselves living there, so purge anything unnecessary or unsightly.
5. Create a balance between a lived-in look and clean slate – Yes, getting rid of clutter is one thing, but it’s also time to judiciously bring back a few elements that will really make your home appealing. Think vases of cut flowers, a basket of fresh farmer’s market produce on the kitchen counter or a bowl of lemons beside the sink. Between the eye-appeal and the fresh aromatic scents of flowers and citrus, potential buyers won’t be able to resist envisioning themselves living permanently in your kitchen.
6. A stylish dining room table – The dining room is often a blind spot in decorating the home, however make it the centerpiece by styling it up. Nothing too fancy, but try a series of small and tasteful vases down the center of the table instead.
7. Clean your floors – At the bare minimum, give all floors a thorough cleaning (and steam clean carpets), but consider having wood floors refinished if they are in poor shape. If you don’t want to invest in refinishing floors, the strategic placement of area rugs can go a long way.
8. Rearrange the furniture – Symmetrical arrangements usually work well. The key is to create an inviting conversation area.
9. Choose neutral colors – Rich mid tone neutrals like mocha and doeskin create a sophisticated backdrop that makes everything look more pulled together.
10. Pay attention to the master bathroom and bedroom – A gender-neutral master bath and bedroom can appeal to everyone, if it’s clean, tailored, and free of personal items and clutter. You can’t go wrong with clean, crisp linens, tasteful artwork and a blanket folded at the foot of the bed.
11. Open those closets! – Closet space can be a make-it-or-break-it selling point for buyers, so show yours off to their full advantage by letting go of the excess stuff. stuff the heave-ho. Aim to have 20 to 30 percent open space in each closet to give the impression of spaciousness.
12. Pick up the toys – Naturally, there will be families with children looking at your home, but just because they have kids doesn’t mean seeing toys strewn everywhere will sell them on your place. Show them that it is possible to have a beautifully organized kids’ room, and they might be swayed.
13. Use extra rooms wisely – Spare bedrooms tend to be a dumping ground for odd pieces of furniture and boxes of junk. It’s now time to clean up your act. Each room should have a clearly defined purpose, so think about what potential buyers might like to see in that extra room.
14. Maximize space in the bathroom – If you have a small bathroom but a huge cabinet-style sink, consider swapping it out for a simple pedestal version. Your bathroom will appear instantly bigger.
15. Personal accents – It is important that anything left out for visitors to see is pristine and detailed. Empty the garbage can, hang a fluffy white robe on the bathroom door, and look at every detail with a visitor’s eye.
16. Entice visitors to tour the whole house – By placing something that draws the eye at the top of the stairs, in hallways or in corners, you can pique curiosity and keep potential buyers interested throughout a whole home tour. A piece of artwork, a painted accent wall, a window seat, a vase of flowers, a hanging light or even a small, colorful rug can all work wonders.
17. Awkward areas – There’s bound to be one or two awkward areas in your home, but if you show how you can use these odd areas by finding a unique way to display it, say with a workstation or built-in shelving, your awkward area becomes another significant selling point.
18. Beware of pet odors – If you have pets, get all rugs steam cleaned and be extra vigilant about vacuuming and washing surfaces. Also be sure to keep any extra-loved pet toys and doggie bones hidden when tours are scheduled, not to mention the pets themselves.
19. Create an attractive lifestyle – Highlight what your neighborhood or area is known for, by getting innovative with special touches. For example, in Sarasota, have a hammock or a bench swing on your property for visitors to enjoy the warm sunset. These types of additions to the porch or yard could be the perfect touch.
20. The outdoor area – Complete staging also has to include the outdoor environment. Even if your condo or home has only a teensy postage stamp–size balcony, play it up with a cute café table and chairs, a cheerful tablecloth and even a little tray of dishes or a vase of flowers. When people view this type of scene, they will be thinking “What a charming spot to have breakfast!”
21. Think seasonally – Even though the Sarasota, Florida area has rains and windy conditions, still ensure that your garden is in beautiful shape and that any extra features you have, like a pool or a fire pit, are cleaned and ready to go. Take advantage of the cozy vibe of the season in autumn and winter, by building a fire in the fireplace and simmering hot apple cider on the stove. Whether it’s 20 degrees outside or 70 degrees, create seasonal touches.
Staging your home properly and creatively can be the difference between your property staying on the market for months on end, or inviting a quick sale with the potential of over-bidding on your listed price. How awesome would that be? With the above staging tips, the Machado Property Pros can help you sell your home faster, welcome all tours to showcase the work you’ve so diligently done, and turn over the keys to a new buyer.